Thursday, March 27, 2008

Give your money to strangers


(photo via progressdaily.com)

Today I gave like 65 cents to some lady on the subway who played what looked like a cross between a bagpipe and a recorder. (It sounded horrible. I like the mariachi guys way better.) It's something I try not to do, because as a hard-working American, I feel like I have the right to determine whether or not people "deserve" the money I've worked so hard for.

My recent unemployment stint has taught me a lot about how much money I really need to get by (answer: not much) and now that I'm working, I suddenly feel like I have all this extra cash laying around. And I want to spend all of it. I realized that I still dress like a college student and I could use a new pair of running shoes and omg I need a $5 latte right now.

So I need to figure out something better to do with my money. My current blog-crush, Jen at Daily Mitzvah, has started a charity piggy bank, which I will be appropriating in short order. I'm also verrry open to other ideas. Can you think of another way for me to do something good with my money?

Stumble Upon Toolbar

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Save for retirement.
Save for emergencies.
Save for a home, car or any other large $ purchase.
Save, Save, Save...

Sorry thats the financial counselor in me!

ooo Save for a vacation! that would be hot, can i hear the ocean?

Hops said...

Haha ok. Those are all good ideas and I have plans for them as well. Promise. I may even start a "future unemployment" savings account, because like the kids that grew up in the depression, I am now and forever convinced that it's all going to come crashing down at any second. Yay!